Monday, March 11, 2013

Sarah's March Kit Creations!

It is time to share some of the details and close-ups of my ScrapThat! March Kit layouts! I was so excited to get the March "New Blooms" kit, which features gorgeous Meg's Garden papers. These papers are so beautiful and have wonderful details with so much fussy-cutting potential, as you'll see on this first layout I'm sharing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our Boy
The photo is one of my son's first "School Pictures" (his daycare does pictures) - and I was so pleased with how the photos from One for the Wall photography turned out.
I started out by fussy cutting the pink floral page around the edges. I added in some doilies that I inked with green chalk ink around the edges and used the light green cardstock as the base page. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the green 'trellis' from one of the sheets of patterned paper and fussy cut the leaves from another sheet.
The title is a Chipboard phrase by Imaginarium Designs. It took me several mediums/techniques until I finally got a colour/effect I liked on it. When you're working with chipboard, don't get discouraged - just keep adding paint, ink, chalk, gesso until you get a result that you like! This piece started out with a coat of gesso, green and white pastels and then Distress Crackle Paint in Hard Rock Candy. I didn't like how it turned out, so I tried inking it with Distress Ink in Vintage Photo (to pick up the brown in the paper). That turned it into a muddy-green failure. So, I rescued it with another coat of gesso, which ended up looking great!
In this close-up you can see some of the fussy-cut leaves, as well as the natural skeleton leaves that came in the main kit. The green/white flowers are from the Flower Add-On and the large White flower is from the February ScrapThat! Flower Add-On.
Another close-up of the fussy-cut leaves and green/white flowers. You can also see two of the three Imaginarium Designs chipboard butterflies on this layout. I used gesso and three different colours of smooch to create the three different butterflies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are You Ready?
My second layout with the ScrapThat! March Kit features photos from my wedding day of me getting ready for my wedding, hence the title "Are You Ready?"
This is a very paper-heavy layout because I wanted to really feature how beautiful the Meg's Garden papers are. I tore two of the patterned papers to form the base for this layout - I wanted the scroll design on the papers to frame the layout - so used part of the green floral and part of the pink floral page to create this effect. I cut the striped paper using my Silhouette Cameo and then tore off the left edge of the die-cut and doubled up the fancy edge on the right side of the layout.
I used the white cardstock in the Kit to create a double-ended banner as a mat for the fussy-cut perfume label. I then used the leftover pink/green patterned paper (from creating the base page) to create the banner across the bottom of the layout.
I used the cream ribbon to create the ribbon swirls around the photos to help frame them and added a beaded flower from the Flower Add-on - I love how well this flower coordinated with the striped paper! The beautiful girl helping me get my necklace on in the photo is one of my very best friends - Amy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Those Eyes
For my final layout with the ScrapThat! March Kit, I scrapped another of my son's "School Photos". He has the most beautiful, soulful blue eyes - which just melt my heart, so I've called the layout "Those Eyes".
I have to admit, this is my favourite layout that I created from this kit. I just love this photo and how the torn/punched layering turned out. I used two different Martha Stewart edge punches and alternated the punched layers with torn layers, also tearing the ends of the layered papers at the top and bottom.
The flower clusters are a combination of flowers/leaves from the main kit as well as from the February Kit Flower Add-on - I also added in a couple of corkscrew swirls created from the stems off the white roses. I just love the crinkle ribbon that was included in this kit - it creates such a pretty bow!
Another bow and some white roses to help frame the title of the layout.

I wanted to show you one more close-up of the photo. I got the digital files for my son's pictures and played with this photo in Photoshop to create a vintage black & white photo effect, but then re-revealed the eye colour. I'll be sharing a tutorial on how I did this later in the month!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today. I hope you found some inspiration in my layouts!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pages featuring this gorgeous Meg's Garden paper!! Thanks for sharing all your details and tips! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome pages all created with the Meg's Garden paper, wonderful :) thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete