Friday, March 8, 2013

Fussy Cutting Tutorial with Sandi


Happy Friday, everyone! Sandi here today to share a few fussy cutting tips with you! The Meg's Garden papers in the March Scrap That! kit are so perfect for cutting out specific images and using them on your designs almost like embellishments! 

Any time I have papers such as these, the first thing I do is to start cutting! Why? Because if I hesitate, then I might be tempted to use the papers "as is" and loose the unique opportunities that fussy cut images provide. So, dive in! You won't regret it. 

If you have never done any cut work, below are some tips. (I only have a few photos as it is hard to photograph with scissors in one hand and paper in the other. Right?) 


Select a section of the paper that has some images that look promising to use as embellishments or borders. I like to cut a larger section out before I actually start my fussy (or detail) cutting. 



Having the right tools is key to good results. You will want a pair of small, detail scissors such as these pictured above or Cutter Bee Precision-cut scissors and/or a good, sharp craft knife. I use both. The craft knife works great for very fine detail work and for getting "into" spaces within the design. 



Then, start cutting around the designs you wish to use, in this case the flowers and leaves. You will get the best results by holding the scissors steady but moving the paper as you cut, rather than the other way around. You'll get more fluid edges rather than ragged. 



In this case I used a large section of flowers although I could have cut it up in smaller increments if I had wanted. When I've finished cutting, I like to ink my edges for definition. This also helps to cover any smallish detail or white space that you've missed. 

I thought it might be helpful for you to see a video of someone doing some fussy cutting. Since I am not equipped for doing videos myself, I've selected one that I liked by Janine Koczwara.  She does such beautiful work, I hope you'll take time to watch. 

Here is the link: 


Here is how I've used my piece. 


and ... 

Another example of fussy cutting.  See how open the leaves are at the top? I used the craft knife for this one. 


Thanks for coming by today! 

~ Sandi ~ 


3 comments:

  1. great tips Sandi! Love both layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great fussy cutting with these great Meg's Garden papers, Sandi! Thanks for sharing! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips of fuzzy cutting and fabulous layouts :)

    ReplyDelete