Friday, January 18, 2013

GD Kelly Klapstein ~ Featured January Projects

When I received my ScrapThat! January kit, I couldn't wait to get into my studio! The beautiful Powder Mountain collection from Bo Bunny is one of my favorites this winter.  And there were so many wonderful embellishments that worked perfectly with all my photos and page ideas.

For the first two layouts, I scrapped some older photos of my children.  I love these pics of my kids when they were younger and spent many hours outside in winter time, not feeling cold, but enjoying playing in the snow.  They built forts, made snowmen and even happily shoveled the driveway!


Check out this fun bottle cap in the kit that I used as a journaling spot...

I used a new Tim Holtz/Sizzix die "Snowflake Rosette" to cut out this snowflake from the Bo Bunny double dot card stock in the kit.  Then I topped it with a white snowflake button and bling from the Embellishment Add-On kit...

There were so many pretty ribbons included!  I used the silver one behind my punched border for a subtle glittery effect...
 The other blue border above is a sticker from a 12x12 Bo Bunny card stock sticker sheet in the Powder Mountain collection.  I added some blue gems to this sticker....lots of gorgeous bling in this kit too!

The title "Ice Cold Winter" is cut from a Powder Mountain patterned paper that has cool wintery word art...

...and is backed onto a wide knit ribbon in the kit, which I stiffened with white acrylic paint, hoping for a frosty effect.
I also used more blue gems from the kit to bring some sparkle to the title.

Here is my second layout, with photos of my older daughter shoveling the driveway a few years ago. [I think this is the last time I've seen a shovel in her hand...2007! ha ha!]

I also used lots of card stock stickers from that awesome Powder Mountain sticker sheet on this layout.  The title "Snow Bunny" are alphabet stickers on circles cut from one of the pieces of patterned paper.

I think I used almost ALL of the snowflake stickers from that sheet!  The title is layered on top of the largest snowflake sticker, and I used the other ones with these pretty white organza flower brads...


Even my journaling tag has a snowflake sticker and brad!
i

I cut out the snowman from the white woodgrain patterned paper and added some gem eyes, pearl buttons, a charm and a ribbon scarf. I loved all the variety of bling in this kit!

These 3 snowflakes were a happy accident.  I used the kit's white card stock to punch out some snowflakes for the third layout (coming up), and decided to use it as part of my background for this page.  I put a strip of navy card stock behind the punched out images and added pearl centers.

For my last layout, I decided to use all the pretty floral embellishments to create a winter scene with my youngest daughter's photo, taken during our first blizzard last November.  Amarylis's January sketch was inspirational!

The Bo Bunny papers have images on them that are easy to cut out and use as page elements. I cut out the birch trees and birdhouses from a different piece of paper and popped them up in the bottom corners on this page.
 I added glitter along the top edges of the bird houses.  These white snowflakes were punched with a Stampin' Up! punch from the white card stock in the kit (as mentioned in my second layout above).  The gem centres give them pretty yet subtle sparkle.

The most beautiful cream rose is in the kit, along with a number of pretty leaves.  I painted the leaves white and sprinkled them with glitter while the paint was still wet.  The lovely tiny string of blue pearls are swirled and layered under the rose for an extra touch of elegance.

I used these pretty golden pearl flourishes as my photo corners...

The page element that is the main feature is the frosty winter window, which is simply made with a piece of card board included in the kit, plastic packaging, white paint and glitter.  My full tutorial for this window appeared earlier this week on this blog.  Click HERE to check it out.

Isn't that bird cute?  It reminds me of the blue jays that we still see sometimes here in the winter.  Their bright blue colours are stunning against the winter whiteness.  I cut this one freehand, using the other bird images in these patterned papers as a guide.

Working with the January ScrapThat! kit was a delight, and I loved creating with all the fabulous products!  Being Guest Designer this month has been a wonderful way to start off a new year of scrapbooking!

7 comments:

  1. Kelly! Your work is so STUNNING!!! LOVE everything that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very Beautiful and total inspiration!!! Gorgeous!! Just got my kit...can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous layouts! Thanks for being our guest designer this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layouts Kelly! You work so well with this line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kelly, your layouts are all fabulous. I'm a huge fan! Amazing work with the Bo Bunny collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly...all layouts are absolutely STUNNING! you ROCK my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Kelly, you have certainly used this kit to perfection! Such beautiful work [ love the happy accident with the snowflakes punched from the white cs...you are such a smarty! :) }.

    ReplyDelete