Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Build-a-Tag with Sarah

Hi There, Sarah here! Welcome to my February (yes, I know it is still January) tutorial for ScrapThat! This month, I thought I'd share with you how I made this Cherub Tag with the gorgeous ScrapThat! February Kit "With Love".
One of the things I loved about the Prima Romance Novel papers was that they were made for fussy-cutting and layering. There are so many  wonderful small elements on the papers - such as the section of an envelope that I used as the base for my tag. Here's the step-by-step of how I built the tag:

1. Gather all your papers/embellishments. For the tag, I used the envelope base cut from the Bookplate page and a strip of paper cut from the Dear John page. I used the paper and organza flowers, as well as the white tulle, two different types of May Arts Pink Ribbon and Heart Ribbon Buckle and Smooch from the Main Kit. I added in one of the Prima Resin Cherubs from the Embellishment Add-on and a small round doily from my stash.
2. Cut a two-inch strip of paper into 3/4-inch wide strips and cut a V in one end of each strip to create the banner pieces.
3. Distress the edges of all the banner pieces, the tag and the doily. I used a craft-knife and edge-distress for the tag/banner pieces and simply scrunched the doily.
4. Start assembling the tag. I started by placing the doily on the tag and then layered the banner pieces on top of each other, off-setting and raising each row above the previous one. 
5. Start embellishing! I rolled each of the banner elements upwards to add some more dimension to the tag.  I added the cherub as the focal point for the tag and the paper/organze flowers framing the cherub. I painted the inner petals of the paper flowers with the Smooch pearlized ink that was in the main kit (unfortunately this doesn't show up all that well in the photo - but looks really pretty in real life). I also added in a couple of small 'corkscrews' I made from the stems that I cut off the paper flowers.
6. Add the tulle and ribbon. I cut the tulle so that the ends each had a nice V shape to mirror the V of the banner elements. I punched a hole at the top of the tag and looped the tulle through it. I threaded the two different pink ribbons through the ribbon buckle and then glued that over the hole where the tulle was attached to the tag.
That's it - the completed tag! Here is a close-up of the finished tag taken from a slight angle so you can see the dimension and embellishments a bit better.
Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today. I hope you enjoyed my little Build-a-Tag tutorial. Be sure to post to our gallery if you decide to give this tag a try - we'd love to see what you do!

2 comments:

  1. Beatiful tag! Thanks for the step-by-step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning tag, Sarah!! Thank for the step by step instructions!! I so love the layered banner ribbons!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete