Monday, January 14, 2013

Corrugated Winter Window Tutorial ~ GD Kelly Klapstein

Hello everyone! 


I am so happy to be Guest Designer for January's kit and am excited to share with you today a tutorial on how I made the window in this layout...

"Winter Beauty"
Even though winter can be tooooo long where I live, with lots of snow and cold weather, it is a beautiful sight when those first snowflakes of the season drift down from the sky and whiten the world.

When I design layouts, I often imagine and create scenes with windows, trees and natural elements that help tell the story of the photo.  As soon as I saw the piece of corrugated cardboard in my main kit, the window idea popped into my head...so that is what I did with it!

1. I didn't really trim down the piece in the kit...just cleaned up the edges a bit.

2. I cut rectangles as templates for the panes and traced them.



3. I cut out the panes with my craft knife.
4. I painted the window frame unevenly with white acrylic paint.
5. While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled some glitter over it, here and there.




You know how it is when you give a child a present in a BIG box, and she ends up playing with the box instead of the present? Well, that's how I felt when I was making this window...because next I used the plastic packaging from the embellishments in the kit to make the faux "glass" window panes! 

1. First I adhered the plastic to the back of the window frame, and then I trimmed the excess.

2. To make the frosty panes, I put Glossy Accents around the inside edges of the frame.

3. I dumped a lot of glitter on it and it dried very quickly.
Here is a closer look...


It's actually a really simple technique that you could use to make your own window with products you probably already have in your stash!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and try it out for yourself!  I'm also looking forward to sharing more details about all my January kit layouts later this week!

Be sure to visit Kelly's blog, Kelly Creates, to see more of her gorgeous work!! 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing tutorial!! Thanks for sharing!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! Jaw dropping stunning LO and tut. Thanks for sharing.
    Huggies
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh thank you for sharing this I'm going to try

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous layout and tutorial! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow fabulous page, congrats on the Guest spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow beautiful love it thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best snowflakes are always on scrapbook layouts. Love the layout and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, beautiful, gorgeous ... hmm, what else? Love it.

    ReplyDelete