Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sandi's "Pueblo Rose" tutorial

Sandi here today to share with you how I made the single layer flower for my "Santa Fe Sunset" layout. This was really the first time I recall creating a paper flower that I based on an actual flower, other than the normal roses or daisies. Usually they are just "flowers." I've decided to call these the "Pueblo Rose." 

It's based on this Scarlet Globe Mallow that grows in low rainfall, inter mountainous regions such as New Mexico. 

This was the paper and supplies I used, as well as some of my Lindy's Stamp Gang mists as noted below. 

To create this flower, you will want to use a 5 petal die such as this Spellbinders Donna Salazar Rose Creations die. Once you've die cut your petals, you will want to snip the edges with any type of ragged edge punch that you have in your arsenal. I used a Creative Memories star burst punch. This gives the flower a more natural appearance. My yellow flower center was simply cut by hand.  The edges were then inked (Quick Quotes PowderPuff Bloody Mary) on both of these. Next bend your flower edges downward (or upward) depending on the look you like and where the flowers will be placed. 

Using any type of round edged utensil, you will want to place your flower in the palm of your hand and press down to  make the flower cup upward.  You can also accomplish this with a mouse pad or foam pad but I like using my palm, thus the lack of a photo. I then pierced the center of the flower to make room for my stamens and lastly painted the midpoint of the center with some Olive Green Silks Acrylic Glaze prior to inserting and gluing the stamens on the underneath side. 

Because I wanted my stamens to go straight up. I set my flowers on the edge of an old plastic container until the glue was completely dry. 

While those were drying, I cut some green leaves using my Tattered Pine Cone die. 

Once the glue was dry and the stamens firmly in position, I placed them through the holes of the black mesh that came in the June kit. It was a bit curled and made the perfect work surface for working on my finishing touches.  Next I began painting on my LSG mists until I achieved the color I wanted. I was going for a bit of a streaked look. My primary colors were Tiger Lily Orange and Rhododendron Red Rose. 

Here is a close-up of the flowers and you can see those ragged edges a bit better here. I really like that look! 

Another close-up.

The final product was nestled around the corner of my photo over a vintage Prima vine that I used as a filler. I tucked my greenery in a few random places and called it done! 

Hopefully, you can give these a try someday soon! 

1 comment:

  1. So gorgeous!! Love how you used the punch on the petal edges!! Thanks for sharing. ~ Blessings, Tracey