Friday, October 12, 2012

Tracey's Layered Embossed Butterfly Tutorial

Hi everyone. I'm here today to share a tutorial on how I made the layered, embossed butterfly I created with the October Kit. 

The stamp in the kit is gorgeous, but didn't quite fit with the photos I was planning to scrap, so I thought I'd use the butterfly on the stamp to create a sweet little embellishment for one of my pages. Here's how I created it:

1. Gather Supplies
Embossing Powder - Copper and Gold
Kit Stamp
Kit Ink Pad
One larger or two small paper scraps from kit (only one small scrap pictured)
Scissors - my favorite fussy cutting scissor are any of the EK Success Scissors.

2. Ink up the butterfly portion of the stamp. If you have embossing ink in your stash, it will give a more crisp image, but the Prima ink pad worked just fine.

3. I mixed two colors of embossing powder together - copper and gold. You can use any color or combination of colors that work with your page, or if you want your ink color to shine through, you can use clear embossing powder. The prima ink dries quickly, so have your embossing powder open and ready to pour onto the stamped image immediately. If you are working with embossing ink or other slow drying ink you will have more time to work with.  Don't worry if you have complete coverage with the powder - that will add to the charm of your butterfly. You will need to stamp and emboss two images from the butterfly portion of the stamp.

4. Heat emboss ~ while the powder is still hot and melted, quickly add another layer of embossing power, tap off any excess and heat again. You can do this several times to build up the embossed image. I used three layers of embossing powder on these butterflies. 

5. Fussy cut around the embossed butterflies using sharp scissors or craft knife. 

6. Trim off the antennae from one of the butterflies. Take the one with the best embossed image and bend the wings forward and curl the wings with your fingers. I find that a small paintbrush can be helpful to curl the wings. Using super sticky tape or glue of your choice, adhere the bodies of the two butterflies together. Here is the finished embellishment:

Here's my layout using the
Layered Embossed Butterfly:

These butterflies are super easy to make.
I hope you'll give them a try!

3 comments:

  1. So pretty! I can't wait to get my Oct. Kit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout and thank you for the wonderful tutorial on your gorgeous little butterfly...I never thought to use a collaged stamp and fussy cutting the image I want, GREAT IDEA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous idea Tracey!!1 Great Tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete